Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
Member recipe by alzillah
This sweet, creamy soup is power-packed with nutrients: beta-carotene from the sweet potatoes; calcium minerals, and fiber from the kale. It is strengthening for both the spleen and liver.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 medium (about 2 pounds) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 branches of fresh thyme
- Sea salt
- 1 bunch kale, chopped in 1-inch strips
- In a large saucepan warm the olive oil over medium heat. SautÃÂÃÂ© onion, shallot, carrots and celery until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and enough water to cover by 1 inch.
- Bring soup to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and thyme branches and puree the soup with a vertical blender. Add sea salt and kale, cover, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…