- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100g red curry paste
- 2 tbsp palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced into 3-4cm chunks
- 3 lemongrass, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans coconut milk
- 2-3 big spoonfuls hot Indian lime pickle (if your pickle is very hot, use a little less of it)
The same shape, but smaller than…
- 500g bag fettuccine
- small bunch coriander, chopped
Want to see what this recipe costs at different supermarkets? Compare in one place here:
Heat the oil in a wok or your largest wide-based pan. Add the curry paste and fry for 2 mins. Add the palm sugar and cook for 4 mins until sticky and fragrant. This makes the sauce richer and sweeter. Add the squash and lemongrass (by keeping the sticks whole, you can take them out easily at the end). Stir well and cook for 2-3 mins, then pour in the coconut milk with the lime pickle. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 mins over a medium heat until the squash is tender but not mushy.
When the squash is nearly ready, cook the pasta, then drain well. Pour half the sauce into a big bowl, then add the pasta. Mix well with tongs, then add the remaining sauce before scattering with coriander leaves to finish.