Spinach and cheese pie
Member recipe by siamesesal
- Bag of spinach leaves
- 250g tub of soft cheese
- 100g mature cheddar
- 2 medium eggs ( one is for glazing)
- A pack of chilled short crust pastry
- Handful of crushed walnuts
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Pre heat oven to gas mark 6.Rinse the spinach and cook briefly in the water that it holds. Drain well - I put it in a small colander with a dish on top with a set of old weights in. Get rid of as much liquid as possible.
- In a bowl combine the soft cheese, grated cheddar. egg and spinach.
- Add grated nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Leave to cool slightly whilst you roll the pastry.
- Put rolled pastry onto a 30cm enamel pie plate - I find that the pastry cooks better on these.
- Add the filling. Use the second egg to brush round the edge before adding the top.
- Crimp the edges to seal, glaze with beaten egg then sprinkle the crushed walnuts on top.
- Bake for 30minutes until the top is golden.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…