Vodka chocolate cake
Member recipe by mszubik
- For the cake:
- 300g granulated sugar
- 250g margarine (i.e. Stork)
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- For the filling:
- 600ml chilled whipped cream
- 50g icing sugar
- For the spread:
- Strawberry jam
- For the punch:
- 50ml vodka
- 50ml Ribena (strawberry flavour)
- 50ml water
- For the icing:
- 250ml double cream
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100 milk chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Strawberries for decoration.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/gas 4. Start with melting margarine in the saucepan, then add sugar, water and cocoa and stir on a moderate heat until consistency becomes smooth and glossy. Then take off the heat and stir occassionaly until it cools down.
- In a separate bowl sift dry ingredients (flour and baking powder).
- Separate eggs yolks from whites. Whisk whites until stiff.
- Once the margarine and sugar mix cools down add gradually egg yolks until fully incorporated into the mixture. Then add dry ingredients. Once all combined add whisked whites gently folding them into the mixture.
- Grease two 23cm/9in sandwich tins (you can line them or sprinkle home made breadcrumbs over, it will prevent the cake base from sticking to the tin). Divide the cake mix between the sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 15 mins (fan oven) or 25 mins (standard oven), or until the top is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. In the meantime whisk the whipped cream until firm, add icing sugar towards the end of whisking.
- Once baked leave the cakes in tins for 10 mins before transporting them onto cooling rack. When on the cooling rack cover with cloth.
- When cakes cooled down level them with knife to get flat tops. Transport one of the cakes on the plate/board etc and soak it with half of the punch, then spread the jam over it. Cover the cake with 3/4 of the whipped cream and then place the second cake on the top (flip it upside down, the cake base is perfectly flat which is good for decorating it later on). Use the remaining half of the punch on the second cake.
- In the saucepan heat the double cream (do not boil it). Take if off the heat and add vanilla extract and chocolate. Mix until nice and smooth. Then spread it over the cake, only on the top. For sides use remaining whipped cream. Decorate with strawberries.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…