Fennel spring salad
Member recipe by lorilf
Great little salad, light and fresh, which works particularly well when it is followed by a fish main or for a light lunch on the go accompanied by some rustic bread.
- 2 fennel heads
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 echalion shallots
- 20 mini mozzarella balls
- 2 blood oranges
- extra virgin olive oil
- cider vinegar
- sea salt & pink pepper to taste
- a handful of capers
- Slice the red onion and chop the shallots very thinly and put aside. Peel the skin of the oranges and cut out the orange segments. Cut the fennels in two then slice them very thinly. Save any fennel small green growth for decoration.
- Mix most of the shallot and all the fennel together in a large bowl. Add in a few drops of cider vinegar and good quality extra virgin olive oil. Mix well, cover and leave to marinate for at least half hour.
- Serve the fennel salad on the serving plates, sprinkle in the rest of the shallot, place the mozzarella balls and orange segments around each plate and display the red onion rings and fennel green stalks (as well as capers if you like them). Drizzle some more olive oil, grind some pink pepper and sea salt. If you want, you can add a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar for effect.
- If the taste of raw fennel is slightly too strong for the balance of your meal, you can blanch the fennel for 1 minute to mellow it before slicing. If you do, plunge it briefly in cold water and dry it before slicing.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…