Valentine's Day Pie
Member recipe by lhood13
Exotic Mushrooms & Steak are a match made in heaven! This pie is perfect for making in advance and is sure to impress the one you love this Valentine's Day. Also great for a family dinner - just double the ingredients!
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 200g Casserole Beef (cubed)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (chopped)
- 1/2tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 90ml Red Wine
- 500ml Beef Stock
- Small bunch of each (total: 15g)
- -Thyme, Rosemary & Sage
- 50g Lardons
- 100g Shiitake
- 1 x Buna Shimeji
- 1 x Shiro Shimeji
- 1tsp mustard
- 1tsp redcurrant jelly
- 160g Shortcrust pastry
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 4. Prepare all your ingredients (for guideline on how to prepare our Exotic Mushrooms, visit our website www.mushroommeals.co.uk)
- In a large casserole dish, heat the olive oil on a high heat and seal the cubed beef on all sides, remove the beef from the dish and place onto a plate.
- Turn down the heat to medium, then add to the same casserole dish , the onion and carrot and cook until softened (about 10 minutes)
- Return the beef along with their juices back the dish along with the rest of the ingredients to the casserole dish. (Note: the herbs should be kept whole and tied in a bundle with some string so that the herbs give a subtle flavour to the pie.) If the stock doesn't quite cover the ingredients you can top up with a bit of water
- Give the whole thing a good stir and then place in the oven and slow cook for 2-3 hours
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly, turn the oven to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6. Then spoon into individual pie dishes (18cm (l)/11cm (w)/5cm (h))
- Roll out the pastry and cut in half. Roll out the two halves so that they are slightly bigger than your pie dishes. Place each pastry sheet over each pie and firmly press down the edges to seal. Prick three holes in the centre of each pie, so that air can escape and place onto a baking tray.
- Put the pies into the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden and crispy. Serve with broccoli and mash potatoes and enjoy by candle light!
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…