Onion, bacon and mushroom tart
Member recipe by anya19
- For the pastry
- 280g plain flour, plus extra for rolling
- 140g cold butter
- cold water
- For the Filling
- 500g onions, sliced
- butter or oil for cooking
- 300g bacon
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- handful of parsley, finely chopped
- thyme sprig
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp creme fraiche
- salt and pepper
- worcester sauce
- Preheat oven to 200C/fan 180C
- Make the pastry by rubbing the butter into the flour to resemble breadcrumbs. Stir in about 8 tbsp of fridge cold water and bring together to a ball using your hands.
- Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- While the pastry is chilling finely slice the onions and place in a pan with some butter or oil and gently soften and allow to caramalise, will take about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Take the pastry from the fridge, roll out on a lightly floured surface and line a large greased tart case. Prick with a fork and lay over a sheet of greaseproof paper or foil and cover with baking beans or rice and cook in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes.
- While this is cooking cut the bacon into smallish pieces and fry in a pan with a little oil until cooked and crisp, then add to the onions. In the same pan add the sliced mushrooms and fry slightly to crisp up then cook down until fully cooked with a little butter, worcetser sauce, a thyme sprig and seasoning. Once cooked add to the bacon and onions and sprinkle in half the chopped parsley.
- In a jug mix together the eggs, creme fraiche, a little seasoning and the rest of the parsley.
- After the 20 minutes is up, remove the pastry case form the oven and take out the greaseproof paper and baking beans or rice. Put back into the oven for a furthur 15 minutes or until the pastry browns slightly and is cooked.
- Once browned remove from the oven and fill the pastry case with the onion, bacon and mushroom mixture and pour over the egg mixture. Place back in the centre of the oven for around 30 minutes or until the filling is nearly set as it will finish cooking as it cools slightly. Once out of the oven let it stand to set for 5 minutes and serve warm in slices with salad and home made chips or roasted potatoes.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…