Roasted butternut squash soup
Member recipe by riikka78
- olive oil
- 1 kg butternut squash, chopped to chunky pieces
- 1 sweet potato, halved
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- The leaves of 3 sprigs of sage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 gloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 800 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- Chop the butternut squash into large chunks and remove the seeds. Half the sweet potato. Put squash and sweet potato pieces into a roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil. You can leave the skins on to protect the veg during roasting.
- Whilst the vegetables are roasting peel and chop the carrot, onion, chilli and garlic and pick the leaves of the sprigs of sage.
- Heat couple of tablespoons on olive oil in a pan and add the herbs. Fry for 2-3 minutes without browning and remove from the oil. The oil now has a wonderful herby flavour. Next add the onion and carrot and cook until onion has softened. Then add the garlic and the chilli and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Once the squash and the sweet potato are soft remove them from the oven and peel away the skin before adding to the onion mix.
- Pour in the stock and cook for further 10 minutes or until carrots are soft. Add salt to taste. Use a food processor or a hand blender to pure the soup.