Chicken with leeks and orange
Member recipe by joylicious
A harmonious combination of carmelized leeks and orange with bold flavors and enticing aromas
- * 2 pounds of chicken thighs/breast
- * 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- * 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons canola or other neutral oil
- * 2 large onions, unpeeled, cut into large chunks
- * 2 large carrots, unpeeled cut into large chunks
- * 2 garlic heads, in their skins, cut in half horizontally
- * 1/2 cup cubed fresh ginger unpeeled
- * 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- * 1/2 cup water
- * 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- * 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- * 6 cups veal stock or chicken stock
- * 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- * 3 large pieces dried orange peel
- * black pepper from a mill
- * 3 cups leeks (white parts only) cut into 3 1/2- x 1/4 inch ribbons and wash well
- * 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- For the sauce, heat 1/4 cup of oil on high heat in a large pot. Add the ginger, garlic, carrots and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Be sure to stir often to prevent the vegetables from burning.
- Combine 1/4 cup of the sugar and water in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Continously stir the mixture until it comes to a boil, then stop stirring but continue to heat until the sugar carmelizes into a medium golden brown, about 5 minutes. Carefully add 1 cup of orange juice and 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the caramel. Please be careful during this step, add the liquid slowly or else the caramel will bubble over. Continue to simmer at a medium-high heat and stir until the hardened caramel has dissolved.
- Add the caramel mixture to the vegetables and add the stock and soy sauce along with the orange peel, and bring to a slow, steady simmer. Cook until the sauce is fragrant and slightly reduced, about 50 minutes. Strain the sauce through a sieve and discard the vegetables. Place the sauce in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the mixture is reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a wide, heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and brown on each side, about 8-10 minutes. Do not rinse the pan. Transfer to a plate, cover and set aside. Sautee the leeks with 1 tablespoon of sugar over medium heat in the same sautee pan you used for the chicken.
- Once it is browned and caramelized, turn the heat high and add the remaining 1/4 cup of orange juice, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, stirring and scraping any brown bits that may be stuck to the pan. Reduce until the pan is nearly dry and add the sauce, chicken and butter. Coat the chicken well with the mixture and plate immediately. Finish off with spooning the sauce around the plate and garnishing with leeks and scallions. Serve with a side of bok choy steamed or sauteed.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…