Maple Syrup Cupcakes
Member recipe by veritypinkney
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
A tasty cupcake recipe, perfect for charity bakes or just for a naughty bite.
- For the cakes:
- 175g self raising flour, sifted
- 125g softened butter
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 75g soft dark brown sugar
- 2tbsp semi skimmed or whole milk
- 4tbsp of maple syrup
- 12 cupcake cases
- For the butter cream:
- 75g softened butter/margarine (unsalted)
- 175g icing sugar, sifted**
- 3-4tbsp maple syrup
- large handful of pecans, roughly chopped
- ** note more icing sugar may be required depending on the amount of syrup you like in your butter cream
- Preheat the over to 180C/gas 4
- Beat the butter with a wooden spoon in a large bowl until soft and pale. Gradually add the caster sugar and brown sugar until fully combined.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Slowly add the eggs to the butter and sugar. Add 2 of the 4 tbsps of maple syrup to the mixture (the rest will be drizzled into the cakes once they are baked). Mix well.
- Stir in the flour in 2 or 3 batches adding a spoon of milk alternately until combined. Tap the edge of the bowl to get any excess flour into the mixture. You are looking for a smooth consistency.
- Place 12 cupcake cases into a cupcake tin. Divide the mixture generously between the 12 cases being careful not to overfill. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes - have a quick check after 16 to ensure they are baking evenly. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack. Prick the cupcake tops a few times with a fork and drizzle the remaining 2 tbsps of maple syrup on top of them. Leave to cool ready to ice later.
- While the cupcakes cool - soften the butter with a metal fork until smooth. Slowly add in the icing sugar (don't forget to sieve it first so you don't get lumpy icing!) Taste as you go to find the sweetness you like. Add a couple of spoons of maple syrup (- this will make the mixture look horrible until it is completely combined!) Then add more icing sugar until you get a workable consistency. Spread across the tops of the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with pecan pieces. Yum!
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…