Lesley's coffee cake
Member recipe by claire-matt
- 100g soft margarine
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 115g self raising flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tbsp camp coffee essence
- 2tbsp milk
- 2tsp black treacle
- 50g chopped walnuts
- For the topping
- 50g butter
- 1 dessertspoon coffee essence
- 200g icing sugar
- Walnut halves to decorate
- Makes 1 layer cake. To make 2 layers double quantities.
- Grease/line 8" round tin
- Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy
- Gradually add the eggs
- Fold in the dry ingredients
- Add coffee essence, milk, treacle and walnuts
- Stir well
- Spoon mix into tin and cook at 190 c/Mark 5 for approx 30 mins
- Allow to cool. Cut in half
- Cream butter and sieved icing sugar together. Add coffee essence. Spread mix between two halves of cake and sandwich together. Spread remaining mix on top of cake and decorate with half the walnuts.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…