Member recipe by muthahuffa
A delicious and low fat lamb biryani that's got all the taste of your local curry house.
- 350g shoulder of lamb, diced
- 175g basmati rice, rinsed in cold water
- 300ml chicken stock
- 150g spinach
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp Patak's balti curry paste
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, leaves and stalks separated and chopped
- Toasted flaked almonds to serve (optional)
- Heat excess oil from balti paste jar in a saucepan and cook the onions with the bay leaf, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and chopped coriander stalks for 10 minutes. Add a tbsp of balti paste if the pan becomes dry.
- Sprinkle in the turmeric then add the lamb and remaining curry paste and cook until aromatic (4-5 minutes).
- Pour in the rice and stock then stir well. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Add the spinach a handful at a time and stir through, put the lid back on the pan and leave to steam undisturbed for 5 minutes before serving.
- Stir well, mixing through half the coriander. To serve, scatter over the rest of the coriander and the almonds (if using).
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…