Member recipe by kerryburnett
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 700g lamb, chopped
- 1 aubergine (optional), salted then washed
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- juice of one lemon
- 200ml red wine
- half a pint of lamb or chicken stock
- 4-5 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp rosemary (fresh)
- 1 tbsp thyme (fresh)
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Salt and pepper
- Puff pastry (optional) and beaten egg for brushing
- Feta cheese (optional)
- Fry off the onion and the garlic for a few minutes then add the lamb. Cook until almost browned. Add the aubergine and cook for a few minutes.
- Add all other ingredients apart from puff pastry and feta and stir well. Cover and cook over a low heat for one and a half hours.
- Remove from heat. The casserole can be served now or put into pie dishes, with a little feta cheese if you like, and topped with puff pastry. Brush with a beaten egg and cook until pastry is golden.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and veg or a Greek salad.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…