Braised ox-tail stew
Member recipe by shevaughn69
- ox-tail (about 1.5 kg), washed, wiped and jointed
- 250ml beef stock or cube disolved
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 carots, cut into rounds
- 1 turnip peeled and cubed
- 3 stalks of celery chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 cloves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 20ml of tomatoe puree
- 20ml granulated sugar
- 20ml flour
- 12.5ml butter
- 250ml red wine
- 5ml salt
- 10ml pepper
- Cut and wash thoroughly.
- Add the spices, salt, pepper, herbs, garlic, tomatoe puree and sugar to the the meat and stock to a heavy bottomed sauce pan and simmer for 3 to 4 hours, add water if it dries out
- After 2 hours add vegtables and wine.
- Add cooked potatoe to the stew 1/2 an hour before serving so that it takes on the flavour of the stew.
- When the meat is cooked, remove the cloves,bay leaves and thyme as well as much of the fat as possible (better to cool and put in the fidge overnight and then remove all floating fat).
- Melt the butter in a frying pan , add the flour and stir until brown. Add this to the gravy and meat in the saucepan and stir until it thickens. Cook for a further 15 min.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…