Member recipe by jul34es
- 125g golden syrup
- 125g black treacle
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 21/2 tsp ground ginger
- 300ml milk
- 125g dark muscavado sugar
- 1 egg,beaten
- grease and line a 3lb loaf tin with grease proof paper.
- gently heat the syrup and black treacle together in a small pan,then leave to cool slightly.
- sift the flour,bicarbonate and spices into a bowl.
- heat the milk with the sugar,stirring occasionally,until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- pour the milk and sugar mixture into the dry ingredients followed by the syrups and the egg-beat well to mix together then pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- bake for 45-50 minutes in the centre of the oven,until a skewer comes out clean.
- leave to cool slightly in the tin before turning out and cooling on a rack.
- wrap in greaseproof paper and then foil -this bread is better on the second and third days and lasts for five.
- pre-heat oven to 180c/gas 4.if using fan oven check after 35 minutes. also i couldn,t get hold of a 3lb loaf tin so i used a 2lb and a 1lb.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…