Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
CAJUN CHICKEN GUMBO
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 6
Spicy Cajun casserole for sharing with friends
- 1½ Kg chicken pieces
- 2 teasps Cajun spice mix
- 30g butter
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 3 cups chopped Cajun vegetables
- 2 teasps chick stock powder or 2 Knorr chicken stock cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teasps chilli flakes
- 1 whole clove
- 3 allspice berries
- ½ teasp dried thyme
- 3 cups water
- 250g spicy smoked pork sausage sliced thickly
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- STEP 1Season the chicken with spice mix. Melt butter in a large pan, add the chicken and cook for 15 minutes. Remove and keep warm/
- STEP 2Stir flour into the pan drippings and whisk over high heat for about 5 minutes to made roux (dark brown but not burnt) Add Cajun vegetables to the roux and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- STEP 3Return the chicken to pan, add stock powder, bay leaves, chilli flakes, clove, allspice, thyme and water. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the sausage and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- STEP 4Add spring onions and parsley. Simmer for 2 minutes and service with plenty of steamed white rice.
- STEP 5NOTE: Cajun vegetables consist of equal quantities of onion, green pepper and celery.