- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 250g-300g white fish fillets (eg haddock, pollock), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5cm ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer leaves removed and white part roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 red chilli, roughly chopped (or 4 dried chillies, de-seeded and soaked in hot water for 10 minutes)
- handful of fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 3 tsp fish sauce
- half a tsp salt
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
groundnut oil for frying
- salad leaves, lime wedges and sweet chilli sauce to serve
- STEP 1Into a food processor put the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, spring onion, chilli, coriander and the tbsp oil. Pulse until it is well chopped up.
- STEP 2Add the fish, fish sauce, salt, lime zest, sugar and egg and whizz until it forms a smooth paste. Scoop out into a bowl and, using your hands, pick up the mixture and repeatedly through it against the side of the bowl. Do this for 3-4 minutes (this thickens and aerates the mixture). Chill the mixture for 15 minutes.
- STEP 3Shape into little patties and shallow fry for a few minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.