Gorgeous sausage rolls
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Makes 30-40 sausage rolls
Great recipe and gets great results every time
- 3 slices of bread (or about 20g of homemade breadcrumbs)
- 800g sausage meat
- 1 cooking apple (Grated)
- 1 onion (grated or sliced)
- Mixed herbs
- 2 or 3 puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg yolk (beaten)
- A cup of water
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius electric fan / 200 degrees celsius electric or gas mark 6 and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- STEP 2If not pre-grated, grate the apple and chop or grate the onion.
- STEP 3Empty the 800g of sausage meat into a large mixing bowl. Put in the onion and the apple. Then add in a sprinkling of mixed herbs to give it some flavour.
- STEP 4If you do not have any homemade breadcrumbs to hand then get your 3 slices of bread and put them in a blender until they are in crumbs. If the crusts do not turn into crumbs then stop the blender and take them out and continue blending.
- STEP 5Once the ingredients in step 3 are mixed, add in the breadcrumbs and combine with your fingers.
- STEP 6Put the new sausage meat aside and unravel the puff pastry and turn it landscape. For the moment, you may leave the pastry on the paper it comes on otherwise you will need to flour your surface
- STEP 7Get a piece of sausage meat and roll it into a chunky sausage. Put the ‘chunky sausage’ about 10cm away from the longest edge and repeat this until the whole width of the pastry is complete.
- STEP 8Grab the thin strip of pastry the other side of the sausage and fold it over the sausage to seal the sausage in the pastry. Paint some water where the 2 pieces of pastry meet and press down with a fork all along the edge to get a nice bumpy texture.
- STEP 9Cut along the edge off the fork crease to make a long sausage roll and cut slits at the top about 3cm apart to act as air holes.
- STEP 10On every 3rd slit carry the cut all the way down to create the actual sausage rolls.
- STEP 11Repeat step 7 to 10 until one of your ingredients runs out (if you have spare sausage meat then roll into balls and put on the baking tray for the same time as the sausage rolls to create sausage balls)
- STEP 12Glaze the sausage rolls with the egg yolk and transfer to baking tray.
- STEP 13Put in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Once finished put on a wire rack to cool