Split Pea Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 12 hours soaking time for the yellow split peas
- Serves 4
Just a lovely warming soup. I use ham stock which I freeze after cooking the Christmas ham.
- 225g yellow split peas
- 1.5 litres stock
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 handfuls of raw spinach
- STEP 1Soak the yellow split peas for 12 hours in cold water.
- STEP 2Rinse the split peas, put in a large pan and cover with the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25 mins.
- STEP 3Remove any scum and add the onion, sweet potato and carrots. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the veg are tender.
- STEP 4Cool slightly, then blend until smooth.
- STEP 5Return to the pan and reheat, adding the spinach to wilt it.