Split Pea Soup
Member recipe by janerollinson
Just a lovely warming soup. I use ham stock which I freeze after cooking the Christmas ham.
- 225g yellow split peas
- 1.5 litres stock
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 handfuls of raw spinach
- Soak the yellow split peas for 12 hours in cold water.
- Rinse the split peas, put in a large pan and cover with the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25 mins.
- Remove any scum and add the onion, sweet potato and carrots. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the veg are tender.
- Cool slightly, then blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan and reheat, adding the spinach to wilt it.