Middle Eastern Lentil Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 6
Known in the Middle East as Chorbat el Ads, this is a 'cooks-itself', hearty, delicious soup.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of red/yellow lentils
- 8 cups of chicken/vegetable stock
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of half a lemon
- STEP 1Heat oil in a pan and gently fry the chopped onions for 5 minutes.
- STEP 2Add the chopped garlic, turmeric and cumin and continue cooking for a few minutes more.
- STEP 3Stir in the lentils, add the stock and cook for 35 minutes. Stir several times during cooking, especially towards the end, to prevent lentils from sticking to base of pan.
- STEP 4Toss in parsley, stir in lemon juice and leave to cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- STEP 5No blending is necessary unless you want it really smooth.
- STEP 6Serve with chunks of crusty bread.