Points to remember
- Put a curved star nozzle into a piping bag, fill with icing and twist the end.
- Hold the end with one hand - usually your writing hand - and rest the tip of the bag in your other hand. Squeeze from the top of the bag with an even pressure.
- To make icing swirls, hold the bag above your cupcake.
- Pipe a ring of icing around the edge of the cupcake, continue overlapping the ring until you reach the centre.
- Stop the pressure when you reach the centre and draw up sharply to finish.
- To make a rose effect, again, hold the piping bag above the centre of the cupcake.
- Pipe in a swirl, working out in a circular motion towards the edge.
- When you reach the edge, swipe sharply around to finish.