Weaning recipe: Baby Bircher
- Preparation and cooking time
- No cook; soak for 1 hour or overnight
- 1- 2 portions for baby or young child
- ½ or 1 small apple or pear, finely grated (or 2 tbsp fruit purée)
- 25g rolled oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 75ml baby or toddler’s milk
- STEP 1
Mix together the fruit, oats, chia seeds and milk. If baby is used to soft foods and purées, you’ll need to steam the fruit (see tip below). If baby is used to more texture then you can peel and finely grate the apple or pear.
- STEP 2
Soak for an hour, covered in the fridge – the Bircher is ready to serve when the chia seeds are completely soft and gel-like. For babies, this should be eaten on the day of making, for toddlers, you can leave it in the fridge overnight and serve for breakfast if you like.