Vietnamese chicken baguettes (Bhan Mi)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 1
- 1 small chicken breast
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp golden caster sugar
- juice ½ lime
- ½ small carrot , peeled and grated
- 2 spring onions , thinly sliced
- 2½cm/1in piece cucumber , deseeded and sliced
- ½ red chilli , thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 sandwich baguette
- 3-4 Little Gem lettuce leaves, washed
- 1-2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- STEP 1
Put the chicken breast between 2 pieces of cling film and bash with a rolling pin to about 1cm thick. Heat a griddle pan until hot. Rub the chicken with the oil, cook for 2-3 mins per side, or until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- STEP 2
Mix together the rice vinegar, sugar and lime juice, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the carrot, spring onions, cucumber and chilli.
- STEP 3
Split a sandwich baguette along the top. Stuff with the Little Gem leaves and shred the chicken on top. Pile on the carrot mixture and wrap or place in a plastic box. Put the sweet chilli sauce in a small portable pot and when it’s time for lunch, pour over the sauce just before tucking in.