Two bean, chickpea & tomato salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Including podding the beans
- Serves 4
- 250g shelled broad bean (about 1kg/2lb 4oz before podding)
- 200g French beans or string beans, topped and tailed
- 100g drained, canned chickpeas , rinsed
- 140g cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
For the dressing
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- STEP 1
Cook the broad beans in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Drain, rinse under the cold tap and peel off the skins. Simmer the French beans in salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes, until just cooked. Drain, rinse, then cut into 2.5cm lengths.
- STEP 2
Mix the beans in a large bowl with the chickpeas, tomatoes and herbs.
- STEP 3
To make the dressing, whisk the lemon juice with the sugar, tomato purée and salt and pepper, then gradually whisk in the olive oil. Pour over the salad and toss together. Serve at room temperature.