Turkey chilli & rice tacos
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
These Mexican corn tortilla shells are filled with chilli con carne made with healthy and thrifty turkey mince
- 2 tbsp chipotle paste
- 400g pack turkey mince
- 100g long grain rice , rinsed
- 420g can kidney bean in water, rinsed and drained
- 600ml chicken stock
- 140g frozen sweetcorn , defrosted
- small bunch coriander , chopped
- 8 taco shells
- ½ iceberg lettuce , shredded
- 150ml pot soured cream
- grated cheese and guacamole , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the paste in a frying pan with a lid. When hot, add the mince and cook until browned, breaking it up well with a fork. Stir in the rice and beans, and mix well, then add the stock.
- STEP 2
Cover and simmer for 20-25 mins until the rice is tender, then stir in the sweetcorn and scatter over the coriander. Heat the taco shells following pack instructions, then serve with the mince mixture, lettuce and soured cream. Let everyone build their own dinner, adding grated cheese and guacamole.
Turkey mince, a low-fat alternative to beef mince, is rich in selenium and iron. It’s a good choice for a wintry chilli, as it’s rich in tryptophan, the protein needed to produce serotonin, the feel-good hormone.