Tuna Caesar with anchovies & cavolo nero
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- thick slice Italian bread (about 85g/3oz), cubed
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil , plus a drizzle to serve (optional)
- 1 lemon , zested and halved
- 2 tuna steaks (about 200g/7oz each)
- 2 anchovy fillets packed in oil, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 2 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- few drops Worcestershire sauce
- 25g parmesan , finely grated, plus extra shavings to serve
- 175g cavolo nero , central ribs removed, torn into bite-sized pieces
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Toss the bread with 1 tsp oil, season, then scatter over a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 mins or until crisped and golden.
- STEP 2
Rub 1 tsp oil, half the lemon zest, some salt and plenty of black pepper over the tuna steaks. Set aside.
- STEP 3
Gently heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the anchovies and garlic, and cook for 1 min, mashing the anchovy to create a purée. Scrape into a into a large bowl, then stir in the mayo, buttermilk, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan, plus the rest of the lemon zest and 1 tbsp lemon juice to make a loose dressing. Tumble the leaves into the dressing and massage well to make sure they are well coated. Leave for 5 mins so that the dressing begins to soften the cavolo nero.
- STEP 4
Wipe out the frying pan and set over a high heat. Sear the tuna for 2-3 mins each side until just pink in the middle, or longer if you prefer. Let it rest on a plate for 1-2 mins. Pile the dressed cavolo nero onto plates, top with the fish, then scatter with the shaved Parmesan and croutons. Drizzle with a little more extra virgin olive oil, if you like, then serve with the rest of the lemon, cut into wedges.