- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 carrot , finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar (white, red or balsamic)
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g can chopped tomato or passata
- 1l vegetable stock made with 2 cubes
- 140g rice (long-grain, basmati, wild, brown or a mixture)
- ¼ small pack parsley , leaves only, chopped, and a few drops of pesto, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, carrot and celery, then cook gently until softened. Add the sugar and vinegar, cook for 1 min, then stir through the tomato purée. Add the chopped tomatoes or passata, the vegetable stock, and any brown rice, if using, then cover and simmer for 10 mins. If you are using wild rice, add this and simmer for 10 mins more. Finally, add any white rice you’re using, and simmer for a final 10 mins until the rice is tender.
- STEP 2
Just before serving, sprinkle over some chopped parsley and season to taste. Divide into bowls and add a swirl of pesto to each, if you like.