Thai chicken and sweet potato soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a starter
- 1 tsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2cm chunk root ginger, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bashed
- 1 x 25g pack coriander, leaves and stalks chopped separately
- 2 tbsp red Thai curry paste
- 750ml chicken stock (made with 2 stock cubes)
- 1 small can (160ml) coconut cream
- 500g sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp fish sauce
- crusty bread, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, chilli, ginger, lemongrass, coriander stalks and curry paste and cook for 2 - 3 minutes until the aromas are released.
- STEP 2
Add the chicken stock, coconut cream and sweet potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Remove the lemongrass and discard. Carefully transfer to a blender and blitz until smooth. If freezing, for best results freeze at this point, otherwise as an easier option freeze complete recipe.
- STEP 3
Return to the saucepan, add the chicken and cook gently for 5 - 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir through the lime juice, sugar and fish sauce, scatter with the coriander leaves and serve.