Sweet & sour chicken & veg
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A trusty takeaway favourite just got superhealthy. Make ahead and freeze for Friday!
- 425g can pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
- 2 tbsp each tomato ketchup , malt vinegar and cornflour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 red chilli , deseeded and sliced
- 1 red and green pepper , chopped
- 2 carrots , sliced on the diagonal
- 2 skinless chicken breasts , thinly sliced
- 125g packs baby corn , sliced lengthways
- 2 tomatoes , quartered
- cooked rice , to serve
- STEP 1
Make the sweet & sour sauce by whisking together the pineapple juice, tomato ketchup, malt vinegar and cornflour. There should be 300ml – add water or stock if you’re short.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok over a high heat. Add the onion, chilli, peppers, carrots and chicken and stir-fry for 3-5 mins until the vegetables are starting to soften and the chicken is almost cooked.
- STEP 3
Add the corn, pineapple and sauce. Bubble for 2 mins, add tomatoes and cook for 2 mins until the sauce thickens, the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender. Serve with rice, if you like.