Sticky duck-dogs with chopped mango slaw & Chinese crisps
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 2 x packs half crispy duck with pancakes and hoisin sauce (available from all major supermarkets)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 6 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 5 tbsp clear honey
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp grated ginger or purée
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 hot dog rolls
- 2 tbsp sesame seed
For the slaw
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- juice 2 limes
- 1 tsp caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 large mango (not too ripe), peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 400g/14oz chunk white cabbage , finely shredded then roughly chopped a couple of times
- 1 red chilli , deseeded and finely sliced
- 6 spring onions , cut into matchsticks
- handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Cook the duck following pack instructions. Sandwich pairs of the pancakes together by brushing with a little of the oil. Brush both sides of the rounds with a touch more oil, sprinkle with a little five-spice powder and some salt, then slice into triangle ‘crisps’ like pizza wedges. Space over baking sheets and add to the oven with the duck. Check after 5 mins, then every 2 mins; when golden and crisp, remove from the oven and cool while the duck continues cooking.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, make the slaw. Whisk together the rice vinegar, oil, lime juice and sugar with some seasoning. Put the mango, cabbage, chilli, spring onions and coriander in a bowl. Add the dressing, toss together and chill until ready to eat.
- STEP 3
In a small saucepan, mix the tomato ketchup, 4 tbsp of the honey, the soy sauce, ginger and the hoisin sauce from the duck. Bubble for 2-3 mins until slightly thickened and well combined, then set aside.
- STEP 4
When the duck is nearly done, mix the egg yolk and remaining 1 tbsp honey with a pinch of salt. Brush all over the hot dog rolls, scatter with sesame seeds, then slice partly down the middle, ready to fill, and sit on another baking sheet.
- STEP 5
When the duck comes out of the oven, put the rolls in and bake at 200C/180C fan/ gas 6 for 5-8 mins until golden brown. Use 2 forks to shred the meat and crispy skin from the duck (discarding bones and fat), then mix with one-third to one-half of the hoisin sauce. Divide the hot duck filling between the rolls and pipe or squiggle over the remaining sauce, like mustard over a hot dog.
- STEP 6
Gently put the crisps in a serving bowl (they’ll be delicate), then serve with the hot duck-dogs and cool mango slaw.