Sprout & spring onion champ
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 1kg potato (King Edward or Maris Piper work well), cut into chunks
- 100g butter , plus extra for serving
- bunch spring onion , sliced
- 400g Brussels sprout , halved and finely sliced
- 400ml milk
- good grating of nutmeg
- STEP 1
Put the potatoes in a large pan of salted water, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins or until cooked through. Drain and leave to steam-dry for 5 mins.
- STEP 2
Heat the butter in a large pan, add the spring onions and cook for 3 mins, stirring regularly. Tip in the Brussels sprouts and cook for a further 8 mins until soft. Add the milk and warm through for 1 min more.
- STEP 3
Tip the potatoes back into their pan, mash, then add the milk and sprout mixture. Add the nutmeg, season and stir.