Spring leaf salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 30-40 minutes
- Serves 4
- 225g pancetta , cut into small cubes or lardons, or bacon bits
- 250g pack mixed fresh chestnut mushrooms , thickly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove , finely chopped
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 150ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 440g can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 350g bag fresh young spinach leaves, washed and dried if necessary
- 225g blue cheese , crumbled (roquefort is good)
- STEP 1
Sizzle the pancetta in a frying pan over a low heat for 10 minutes until golden and beginning to crisp. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with kitchen paper. Raise the heat and throw the mushrooms in with the pancetta fat. Fry the mushrooms for 3-5 minutes until cooked and golden. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- STEP 2
Add the garlic to the pan and fry for a minute until lightly brown. Pour in the vinegar and boil furiously to deglaze the pan. When the vinegar has reduced to a couple of tbsp take the pan off the heat and stir in the olive oil to make a dressing. Season to taste, and set aside.
- STEP 3
Put the chickpeas,mushrooms, pancetta and spinach into a large salad bowl and mix with your hands. Add the dressing and toss thoroughly, adding half the cheese at the end so as not to break it up too much. Serve the salad scattered with the remaining cheese.