Spiced pork patty baguette
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Serve up a sandwich in style with this rustic bap filled with fennel-flavoured meatballs, sweet red pepper and lamb's lettuce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 onions , 2½ sliced, ½ grated
- 1 red pepper , thinly sliced into strips
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 tsp fennel seed , lightly crushed using a pestle and mortar
- 400g pork mince
- 1 long baguette , ends cut off and reserved, remaining part cut into 4 and halved across
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- couple handfuls lamb's lettuce
- STEP 1
Heat half the oil in a frying pan and add the sliced onions, the pepper and some seasoning. Cook on a low heat for 15 mins until the pepper is soft and the onions are caramelised.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, put the chilli flakes, garlic, fennel, mince and grated onion in a bowl. Whizz the bread ends into breadcrumbs and add those, too. Season and mix everything thoroughly. Heat a griddle pan and shape the meat mixture into 12 patties. Rub the patties with the remaining oil and griddle for 3-4 mins each side, or until cooked through.
- STEP 3
Stir the ketchup into the onion mix, heat through, then spoon onto the baguette bottoms. Lay 3 patties on each, scatter with some lamb’s lettuce and top with the other half of baguette.