Sour cream rhubarb squares
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Makes 15 squares
Perfect to serve for dessert or with coffee
- 100g butter , room temperature
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 100g mixed nuts , such as walnuts, brazil nuts, almonds and hazelnuts, roughly chopped (you can buy these as a mixed pack)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 250g dark muscovado sugar
- 1 large egg
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 x cartons soured cream
- 300g rhubarb , cut into 1cm pieces
- STEP 1
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4/fan 160C. If baking to cut into squares, line a 33 x 23 x 5cm baking tin with non-stick baking parchment. If serving as a pudding simply grease a similar-sized ovenproof dish with a little butter.
- STEP 2
Melt about 15g/1⁄2oz of the butter and stir into the caster sugar, nuts and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- STEP 3
Cream together the rest of the butter with the muscovado sugar and egg. When smooth and creamy, stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, 1⁄2 tsp salt and the soured cream. Lastly, stir in the rhubarb.
- STEP 4
Pour the rhubarb mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle with the sugar and nut topping. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Serve immediately as a pudding, or leave to cool and cut into squares. Keeps for 4-5 days in an airtight tin.