Shredded chicken, green bean & barley salad with paprika & lemon
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 small rotisserie chicken
- 100g pearl barley
- 200g green beans , trimmed
- 1 yellow pepper , cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red onion , cut into thin half-moon slices
- 50g flaked almonds , toasted
- zest 1 lemon
- handful flat-leaf parsley , finely chopped
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- STEP 1
Remove the skin from the chicken and shred the meat off the bones into bite-size pieces. Cook the pearl barley in boiling, salted water until tender, but not too soft, about 20 mins. Drain well, then tip into a large bowl.
- STEP 2
Blanch the green beans in more boiling, salted water for about 5 mins, until just cooked. Drain, rinse with cold water to cool, then pat dry with kitchen paper. Add to the barley along with pepper, onion, almonds, lemon zest and parsley.
- STEP 3
Whisk together the dressing ingredients with seasoning. Pour over the salad, toss everything together and serve.