Sherried turkey & ham bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 45-55 minutes
- Serves 4
- 350g/12oz cooked turkey , cut into strips
- 140g thickly sliced cooked ham , cut into strips
- 175g frozen pea
- 50g butter , plus a little extra for greasing the dish
- 50g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- 3 tbsp medium sherry
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 100g cheddar , grated
- 50g chopped mixed nut , such as hazelnuts, almonds, and walnuts
- STEP 1
Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6/fan oven 180C. Mix the turkey, ham and frozen peas in a buttered ovenproof dish.
- STEP 2
To make the sauce, put the butter, flour and milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil, whisking all the time, until the sauce is thickened and smooth. Stir in the sherry and mustard, season to taste and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in half the cheese.
- STEP 3
To finish the dish, pour the sauce over the ingredients in the dish. Mix the remaining cheese with the nuts and sprinkle on top. At this point, you can keep the bake in the fridge up to 5 hours, or freeze it. When ready, bake for 25-35 minutes until the topping is golden and the sauce is bubbling.