Sausage & mash pies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Makes 4
- 1kg potato , cut into even chunks
- 25g butter
- 4 tbsp milk
- 85g red leicester or cheddar, finely diced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 8 large meaty pork & leek sausages , removed from their skins
- 175ml chicken stock
- 2 tomatoes , each cut into 6 wedges
- veg of your choice or baked beans , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Boil the potatoes for 20 mins, then drain and mash with the butter, milk and seasoning. Stir in the Red Leicester or cheddar.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the onion,stirring frequently, for 5 mins until softened. Add the sausages and break them up with a wooden spoon until you get a texture similar to chunky mince. Pour in the stock and simmer for 8 mins.
- STEP 3
Spoon the sausage mixture into 4 individual pie dishes. Top with the cheesy mash. You can freeze the pies for up to 2 months. Simply thaw in the fridge before baking. Bake for 25-30 mins until starting to turn golden. Top with the tomato wedges and serve with your child’s favourite veg or baked beans.