Sausage & bean casserole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4 - 6
A comforting and hearty one-pot sausage stew with chorizo, smoked paprika and plenty of vegetables
- 2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 6 cooking chorizo sausages (about 400g)
- 6 pork sausages (about 400g)
- 3 fat garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 125ml white wine
- 2 x 400g cans cherry tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 x 400g can aduki beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch chives, snipped (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat 2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil in a large heavy-based pan.
- STEP 2
Add 1 finely chopped onion and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- STEP 3
Add 2 finely chopped medium celery sticks, 1 chopped yellow pepper and 1 chopped red pepper and cook for a further 5 mins.
- STEP 4
Add 6 chorizo sausages and 6 pork sausages and fry for 5 minutes.
- STEP 5
Stir in 3 chopped garlic cloves, 1 ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika, ½ tsp ground cumin and 1 tbsp dried thyme and continue cooking for 1 – 2 mins or until the aromas are released.
- STEP 6
Pour in 125ml white wine and use a wooden spoon to remove any residue stuck to the pan.
- STEP 7
Add two 400g cans of tomatoes, and 2 sprigs of fresh thyme and bring to a simmer. Crumble in the chicken stock cube and stir.
- STEP 8
Cook for 40 minutes. Stir in a 400g drained and rinsed can of aduki beans and cook for a further five minutes.
- STEP 9
Remove the thyme sprigs, season with black pepper and stir through some snipped chives, if using. Serve.