- 100g wholewheat spaghetti
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
A member of the nightshade family (along with aubergines, peppers and chillies), tomatoes are in…
- 1 red onion, very finely chopped
- 15g pitted black Kalamata olive, quartered
- ½ tsp finely chopped red chilli
- zest and juice ½ lemon, to taste
Oval in shape with a pronouced bulge on one end, lemons are one of the most versatile…
- 4 tbsp shredded basil or 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
Most closely associated with Mediterranean cooking but also very prevalent in Asian food, the…
- 2 x 120g cans sardines in olive oil, drained, oil reserved (optional)
Sardines are named after the island of Sardinia, where they were once found in abundance. Found…
Boil the spaghetti following pack instructions. Meanwhile, mix the tomatoes with the onion, olives, chilli, lemon zest and basil or oregano. Heat the sardines either in the microwave or in a pan.
Drain the pasta, return to the pan and toss well with the tomato mixture. Add the sardines in chunky pieces. Season with lemon juice, pepper, and a little oil from the can, if you like.