- 100g wholewheat spaghetti
- 2 large ripe tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1 red onion , very finely chopped
- 15g pitted black Kalamata olive , quartered
- ½ tsp finely chopped red chilli
- zest and juice ½ lemon , to taste
- 4 tbsp shredded basil or 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 x 120g cans sardines in olive oil, drained, oil reserved (optional)
- STEP 1
Boil the spaghetti following pack instructions. Meanwhile, mix the tomatoes with the onion, olives, chilli, lemon zest and basil or oregano. Heat the sardines either in the microwave or in a pan.
- STEP 2
Drain the pasta, return to the pan and toss well with the tomato mixture. Add the sardines in chunky pieces. Season with lemon juice, pepper, and a little oil from the can, if you like.