Roast sea bass with chilli & lime leaves
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- More effort
- Serves 4
For the thai dressing
- 2 tbsp each sunflower oil, sesame oil and caster sugar
- 4 tbsp each Thai fish sauce and rice wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves , crushed
For the stuffing & fish
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 red onions , very thinly sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs , halved and very thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 lime leaves , very finely shredded
- 4 tsp very finely chopped lemongrass
- 5 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 x 675g/1½lb sea bass , descaled and filleted
- 6 long outside leaves from spring onions or two knotted together, for tying (See 'try' below)
- STEP 1
1 Mix all the dressing ingredients together,then set aside.
- STEP 2
2 Heat the oil, then fry the onions and fennel with the chilli, lime leaves and lemongrass for 10 mins, or until the onion and fennel are completely tender. Stir in the coriander.
- STEP 3
3 Lay two of the fillets from each fish, skin side down, on a sheet of foil on a large baking tray with sides. Cover with the stuffing, then top with the matching fillets, skin side up. Tie the fillets together with spring onion (or string) and chill until ready to cook. You can do this on the morning of your dinner party.
- STEP 4
To serve: Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Spoon the dressing over the fish, then roast for 12-15 mins or until the fish is cooked. Serve with jasmine rice to soak up the delicious juices.