Ricotta toasts with rocket & pine nut salsa
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Rather than plating up a first course, keep things casual and share your starter from one big plate
- 3 anchovy fillets from a can or jar, drained and roughly chopped
- ½ or 1 garlic clove , roughly chopped, depending on your taste
- 50g bag wild rocket
- 20g pack basil , leaves only
- 1 tbsp capers in brine, drained
- zest 1 lemon , juice of half
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil , plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- ½ 200g tub ricotta
- sourdough bread , to serve
- STEP 1
Put the anchovies, garlic, rocket, basil leaves, capers, lemon zest, juice and olive oil into a food processor and pulse until you have a slightly chunky, bright green sauce. Stir most of the pine nuts through the sauce, spoon into a serving bowl and scatter the remaining pine nuts over the top.
- STEP 2
Put the ricotta into a mixing bowl, season, then whisk until it becomes billowy and soft. Spoon into a serving bowl, drizzle over a little olive oil and add a grind or two of black pepper.
- STEP 3
When you’re ready to eat, heat the grill to high. Cut thin slices of bread, each big enough for a couple of bites. Spread evenly over a baking sheet and grill for 2 mins on each side until golden and crisp. Drizzle a little oil over each piece of toast, sprinkle with a little flaky sea salt, then serve with the ricotta and salsa.
Both the ricotta and salsa will keep covered in the fridge for a couple of hours. The toasts are best made fresh, then loaded up and eaten one at a time to keep them crisp.