Quick fruit compote
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus cooling
- Serves 4 (easily multiplied)
- 500g mixed berries (blackcurrants, blueberries, raspberries, redcurrants, strawberries)
- 50-85g/2-3oz golden caster sugar
Flavourings to choose from
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh mint or lemon balm
- STEP 1
If using strawberries, hull, halve or quarter to make them a similar size to the other berries. Tip all the fruits into a large pan with 2-3 tbsp water, sugar to taste and your choice of flavourings.
- STEP 2
Bring to the boil then simmer for 3-5 mins. Don't overcook, or the fruits will not hold their shape. Keeps in the fridge for up to 2 days, in the freezer for up to 3 months.