Peppers with black beans
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 6
Stir up a pepper with black bean dish for Chinese New Year
- 1½ tbsp groundnut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp coarsley chopped salted black beans
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp peeled and finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 2 red, yellow and green peppers , all seeded and cut into 2.5cm/1in squares
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp chilli bean sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 150ml vegetable stock or water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- STEP 1
Heat a wok over a high heat until hot, then add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the shallots, black beans, garlic and ginger, and stir fry for 1 minute. Then tip in the peppers and stir fry for 1 minute.
- STEP 2
Add the wine or sherry, chilli bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar and stock or water, and continue to cook over a high heat for 5 minutes, or until the peppers are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- STEP 3
Stir in the sesame oil, give the mixture several turns to mix well, turn out on a serving plate and leave to cool. Can be made up to 2 hours ahead. Serve at room temperature.
SALTED BLACK BEANS
Salted black beans are small black soya beans fermented with salt and spices to preserve them. You can find them in Chinese grocery stores, or black bean sauce is a good alternative.