Peppers with black beans
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 6
- 1½ tbsp groundnut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp coarsley chopped salted black beans
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp peeled and finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 2 red, yellow and green peppers , all seeded and cut into 2.5cm/1in squares
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp chilli bean sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 150ml vegetable stock or water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- STEP 1
Heat a wok over a high heat until hot, then add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the shallots, black beans, garlic and ginger, and stir fry for 1 minute. Then tip in the peppers and stir fry for 1 minute.
- STEP 2
Add the wine or sherry, chilli bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar and stock or water, and continue to cook over a high heat for 5 minutes, or until the peppers are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- STEP 3
Stir in the sesame oil, give the mixture several turns to mix well, turn out on a serving plate and leave to cool. Can be made up to 2 hours ahead. Serve at room temperature.