Pea & feta pearl barley stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- zest and juice 2 lemons
- 200g pearl barley , rinsed under cold water
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 200g feta , cut into cubes
- ½ small pack mint , leaves shredded, plus a few whole leaves to serve
- 400g frozen peas , defrosted at room temperature
- STEP 1
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 mins, then add the garlic and lemon zest and fry for another 1 min. Add the pearl barley and the stock. Season, bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, put the feta in a bowl with the remaining olive oil, half the lemon juice, most of the mint and a good grinding of black pepper. Leave to marinate while the barley cooks.
- STEP 3
Remove the lid from the barley and cook for 5 mins more. Increase the heat then add the peas, half the feta and all the feta juices. Cook for 3 mins, then check the seasoning. Divide between four bowls and top with the remaining feta and mint.