Pasta with kale, chilli & mascarpone
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 300g pasta , such as orecchiette or conchiglie
- 4 tbsp mild olive oil
- 4 anchovies in oil, drained
- 1 red chilli , thinly sliced (deseeded if you don't like it too hot)
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 0.5 a 250g tub mascarpone
- 250g kale , large stalks removed, leaves shredded
- 25g Grana Padano , finely grated
- STEP 1
Using the largest saucepan you have, boil the pasta in salted water following pack instructions and setting a timer. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the anchovies and chilli and fry gently for a couple of mins, stirring now and again, until the anchovies dissolve completely in the oil. Stir in the lemon zest and nutmeg and sizzle for a few secs. Stir in the mascarpone and half the lemon juice, then remove from the heat.
- STEP 2
When the pasta has 4 mins left, push the kale into the pasta pan, a handful at a time. It will seem like a lot, but it’ll wilt down quickly. Boil just until the kale is bright and tender and the pasta al dente. Reserve 200ml of the pasta cooking water, then drain. Tip the pasta and kale into the mascarpone pan, add the grated cheese and 100ml pasta water, then toss everything together to coat. Add a splash more water if the pasta seems dry. Season to taste. Scoop into bowls and eat straight away.