Pan-fried salmon with watercress, polenta croutons & capers
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
Heart-healthy salmon is ideal for a dinner party. Use pre-cooked polenta to make this main course recipe even easier
- 250g cooked polenta , either bought ready-made or made from the grain (follow pack instructions and allow it to cool and set on a tray)
- 50g plain flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 boneless, skinless salmon fillets approx 140g/5oz each
- 200g watercress , washed and thick stalks removed
- 2 tbsp capers in brine, drained
- squeeze lemon juice
- STEP 1
Cut the polenta into approximately 1.5cm cubes, toss in flour and fry in a little oil until slightly coloured. Keep warm.
- STEP 2
Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick pan and fry the salmon portions for 1 min on each side until lightly golden, then transfer to a non-stick baking tray and cook in the oven for 8-10 mins. Test the fish to see if it is cooked by pushing a cocktail stick into the top of it. If the fish offers resistance, then it is not fully cooked and will need further cooking. When cooked, remove from the oven and set to one side.
- STEP 3
Dress the watercress with a little olive oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Scatter the polenta croutons and capers over each salmon fillet and serve with the watercress.