For the parmesan pastry
For the filling
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 100g dry cure streaky bacon or pancetta, cubed
- 4medium eggs
- 284ml pot whipping or double cream
- 3 tbsp snipped chives
- 500g frozen cooked shelled mussels , thawed and drained, or 2kg/4lb 8oz fresh mussels
- 200g ripe brie , rind removed and cubed
- 200g mixed salad leaves , to serve
- 2-3 tbsp bought or homemade vinaigrette , to serve
- STEP 1
Rub the butter, flour and parmesan together in a bowl until the mixture has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg mix and quickly bring it all together into a dough. Knead lightly a few times with floured hands until smooth. Shape into a flat ball, cover in cling film and chill for at least 1 hr.
- STEP 2
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Roll the pastry out to the thickness of a £1 coin and line eight 10cm x 3cm tartlet tins. Fill with greaseproof paper and baking beans, and bake for 7-10 mins until the pastry feels dry. Remove beans and paper, then bake for 2-3 mins, until lightly golden. Leave to cool.
- STEP 3
Reduce oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 3 mins until softened, but not coloured. Add the garlic and bacon, and cook for 2-3 mins. Allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and cream with the chives, then fold in the onion, bacon and mussels. Season to taste. Set the cases on a baking sheet. Spoon the mix in and scatter the brie over the top, pushing into the mix here and there. Bake for 12-15 mins until the filling is just firm and golden. Serve warm with dressed leaves.