Miso brown rice & broccoli salad with fiery prawns
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 3
Fermented miso soya bean paste adds an extra savoury hit to this nutritious rice dish topped with fiery chilli-fried prawns
- 100g brown basmati rice
- 140g ready-shelled frozen edamame beans
- 140g broccoli (about ½ a head), broken into florets
- 1 tbsp white or brown miso paste
- ½ tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp clear honey
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli , thinly sliced
- 200g raw shelled prawn
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- large pack coriander , roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Cook the rice following pack instructions, adding the edamame beans for the last 3 mins of cooking. Drain well.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, steam the broccoli for 4-5 mins until tender. Run under very cold water, drain thoroughly and pat dry. In a small bowl, mix the miso, ginger, vinegar, honey, sesame oil and seasoning.
- STEP 3
Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the garlic and half the chilli and cook gently for a couple of mins, taking care not to burn. Throw in the prawns, lots of black pepper and a pinch of salt. Turn up the heat and cook for a few mins until the prawns are cooked through. Toss the miso dressing with the cooked rice, adding the spring onions, coriander and broccoli. Season and stir together. Spoon the spicy prawns on top, scatter over the remaining chilli and serve.