- Preparation and cooking time
- plus standing
- Serves 2
- ½ small onion , finely chopped
- 1 fat garlic clove , crushed
- knob of butter
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika (sweet or smoked depending on preference)
- pinch of chilli flakes or chilli powder
- 400g can chopped tomatoes , drained and juice reserved
- 400g can kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 2 squares dark chocolate
- soured cream , to serve (optional)
- coriander , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Put the onion, garlic, butter and spices in a microwaveable container, give it a quick stir, then heat in the microwave on High for 30-40 secs. Leave to stand for 1 min, then add the chopped tomatoes, beans, stock cube and chocolate.
- STEP 2
Cover with cling film and pierce 3 times. Place some kitchen paper on your microwave turntable, put the container on top and cook for 2 mins on High. Stir well and leave to stand for 1 min. If your chilli starts to dry out, add some of the reserved tomato juice, but remember that it won’t reduce as much in the microwave as it would on the hob.
- STEP 3
Cover and cook on Medium for a further 2 mins. Give it a good stir and allow to stand for 1 min before serving topped with soured cream and coriander, if you like.