Mexican supper pot
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 35-45 minutes
- Easily halved
- 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 450g pork (or turkey) mince
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 250g sachets ready-cooked Mexican rice (see tip)
- a handful of fresh parsley , roughly chopped
- plain tortilla chips , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan until hot, tip in the onion and let it sizzle and turn golden (4-5 minutes) as you stir occasionally. Add the mince and cook until it’s no longer pink, stirring to break it up and scraping the bottom of the pan so it doesn't stick. If it does, add a splash of oil.
- STEP 2
Tip the tomatoes into the mince, then fill the can with water and pour this in. Add the tomato purée, give it all a good stir and let it come to the boil. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes to cook the mince through.
- STEP 3
Stir in the rice from both packets and let it heat through gently, then stir in the parsley. Serve with tortilla chips.